Thursday, September 10, 2009

I want a "Do Over!"

How many of us want to start over? We might have this desire in life generally or in a specific situation. Sometimes I feel this way with my children. We start the day already having conflict and I just want to scream, "DO OVER!" When my daughter wakes up on the proverbial "wrong side", I have actually sent her back to bed and told her to wake up a second time in a much better mood (a tickle treatment while she was down usually helps this!). Or even this feeling arises with my husband, especially when an important conversation starts out with the wrong phrase, tone, or gesture. "DO OVER PLEASE!"

Unfortunately, I can't even count the number of times this has been my mantra in trying to reach those who do not know Jesus as Lord and Savior. Whether it is saying something too "churchy", not being compassionate enough in ministering to someone hurting, or having to address a topic with a new friend with a politically incorrect answer, there always seem to be too many times when I wish I would have done it "better" . . . better in my view at least. I wanted a "Do Over!"

You know what is so good about even these times though? God still can use them. God still can use me, even when I want to scream, "DO OVER!" and He can make something good and glorifying to His name come from the situation. That's my God though, always taking something that is far short of perfect or good and making it useful, giving it a purpose. He can continue to do this in my life circumstances because He has already done it in my heart.

God, through Jesus Christ, has taken my sinful heart and given me a new one. He has taken that spirit of the law within me and given me instead a spirit of grace. He has taken my works of the flesh, which really weren't that great, and given me His Spirit of righteousness. Do you understand how big that is?! I wasn't deserving of any of these gifts! Yet, God loved me so much that while I was living in those works of the flesh (sin), He died on the cross to pay the penalty of my sin and give me a new life. He gave me a "do over!"

I sure am thankful for "Do overs!"

No comments:

Post a Comment