Monday, September 21, 2009

To the believer: Is it "good enough"?

In a world that is constantly vying for our time, attention, gifts, and resources, we have become accustomed to quickly discerning what we think is "good enough" for us, our family, our lives. As mothers we are inundated with choices about food, clothing, toys, activities, sports . . . the list could go on and on. But really what should we be spending our time investing in?

Recently I came across two verses that have challenged me about what I deem "good enough" for my time, energy, and resources.

Acts 17:17 - "So he was reasoning in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Gentiles, and in the market place EVERY DAY (emphasis added) with those who happened to be present."

Rom. 1:16 - "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."

The latter verse really made me stop: Am I ashamed of the Gospel? Or to ask the same thing another way, "is it 'good enough' for me to spend time, energy, and resources talking about?" I have to admit, if someone looked into my personal, daily deeds, they wouldn't answer this question in the positive. It is kinda like asking someone what they think is important. You can get a good glimpse at their answer by looking in their checkbook at what they spend money on. Under that same litmus test, you might say that I am not ashamed. I give freely of my money, time, and gifts to the church.

But the question that haunts me is, what about each day in my personal dealings . . . as I am in the marketplace (Acts 17:17)? Am I still not ashamed there? Is the gospel of Christ "good enough" for me to step out of my comfort zone and share it as I go about daily living, as I meet those who happen to be there?

It is! It is the power of God to salvation! It is not just "good enough;" it is the best thing out there! It brings life to the dead; it makes new the old; it frees the enslaved; it empowers the powerless; it strengthens the weak; it enlightens the darkness!

So, I will heed the voice of God. I will run my race with more determination. I will NOT be ashamed. I will reason in the church with the believers and I will reason in the marketplace everyday with whomever I meet. It is more than good enough for me - it is the most worthy thing of my time, attention, gifts, and resources.

Have you thought recently whether it is "good enough" for you?


post script
If you are wondering whether you are good enough for the gospel of Christ. In one respect, the answer is "no!" Now before you get offended or stop reading, none of us are. We have all sinned, which makes us less than equal to God (Rom. 3:23). But what is so great is that even though we are sinners, God loved us enough to make a way for us to spend eternity with Him and have an abundant life on earth until our death. He took the consequences of our sin, which was death, and died on the cross. Then He did something that we could not do. He rose from the grave (he defeated death!) and gave us the opportunity to live again.

Now, back to the question: "yes! you are good enough!" Jesus Christ did all this for everyone . . . even while they were in sin! He did it for you! He loves you that much! You don't have to be a certain type of person, of a certain family, etc. What you do have to be is repentant; meaning you have to understand you are a sinner (you do wrong sometimes) and you have to want to turn from that sin. Ask Jesus to forgive you of your sin and ask him to take complete control of your life. I promise, you will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment